With red cabbage puree, cavolo nero and duck fat confit potatoes
- 8 Duck legs
- 4 tbsp flaky sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 10 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 red cabbage
- 2 red onion
- 4 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 200ml red wine vinegar
- 200g brown sugar
- 200ml orange juice
- New potatoes
Black garlic duck leg
- Heavily season the duck legs with sea salt flakes and rub all over with garlic and thyme.
- Leave to cure for up to 10 hours in the fridge.
- Rinse legs and pat dry.
- Seal and vacuum on full in a single layer. Add braising liquid of chicken/duck stock and crushed garlic cloves.
- Submerge in a water bath at 88°C and cook for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Open the bags and drain the liquid and reserve.
- Reduce the cooking liquid to glaze consistency and add black garlic puree.
Red cabbage puree
- Thinly slice red cabbage and red onion. Start to sweat in a large pan with star anise, cinnamon stick.
- Add equal quantities of red wine vinegar, brown sugar and orange juice. Top up with water to cover.
- Simmer on low for 2 hours till cabbage is tender and will break down between your fingers. Add more water if it over reduces.
- When cooked. Strain the liquid and reserve. Remove the star anise and cinnamon.
- Blend cabbage till smooth, adding the liquid to assist blending and to achieve the desired consistency.
- Check seasoning and pass through chinois to ensure it is supper smooth.
- Cut stalks out of leaves and cut into equal lengths.
- Blanch in salted boiling water and chill on ice.
Duck fat confit potatoes
- Select and clean similar size new potatoes.
- Vac in a single layer with duck fat, salt and rosemary.
- Cook in a water bath or steam oven at 80C for at least 20mins. Until crushable in the hand.
- Chill on ice. Reserve in fat to use when reheating.
- Place duck leg onto tray and reheat in the oven at 180C for approx. 15 mins. Brush with glaze before and after cooking.
- Fry the confit potatoes till evenly coloured.
- Reheat the cavolo nero in butter emulsion.
- Reheat puree in a small pan, ensuring it doesn’t catch.
- To plate, swipe the puree across on side of the plate. Lay the cavolo nero in a pile with the glazed duck leg on top. Serve the potatoes and jus on the side.